Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patty's Day

We did the green pancakes for breakfast and dressed in green clothing, but other than that, the morning was kinda ordinary. Heather reminded me that the Leprechauns usually bring a treat for them. I whipped out a couple of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, but wasn't prepared for anything else. This was very unlike me.

After the girls left for school I was reading blogs and came across a couple of ideas for Saint Patrick's Day activities on Bloom. I loved the idea of a scavenger hunt and decided that the day was still young. After the potato bar lunch in Jenna's classroom, I zipped over to See's Candy for some gold coins and returned home to whip up some rhyming clues for a scavenger hunt.

The clues were a little lame, but they rhymed and did the trick! Jenna's scoffed at them being written in my hand, but I told her that the Leprechauns had left me instructions on what to do since a grandpa was sleeping in the living room and they couldn't do it themselves without being caught. Clever, no? I don't think she bought it, but it was fun, and she got SEE'S CANDY for crying out loud!
Clues

A hiding spot.

What the girls found on the front porch upon arriving home from school.

Taking turns reading the clues.

Finding treasure.

Happy girls! Notice my cute banner from MakeNTake in the back ground. Put it up just last night. I seem to be last minute Nelly. Oh well!

The girls had Activity Days in the afternoon. Heather got to work with fondant. How fun!

The Clues:

The Leprechauns have been inside
And they came with treasure to hide.
Follow the clues one by one
And in the end you'll have some fun!

#1 Look out, look out! Don't fall in!
You could swim with the fish if you had a fin!

#2 Inside this box the letters hide.
Go look and see, a clue resides.

#3 Splish splash, splish splash,
Do you need a bath??

#4 Sometimes they stink and sometimes not
Look around their home, see what they've got.

#5 Sometimes magical, sometimes frightening,
Travel to any land fast as lightening!

#6 Ring-ring, ring-ring, ring-ring, ring-ring,
Hello? Hello? What news does it bring?

#7 Sweet dreams, sweet dreams, but have a peep;
Find some treasure where your head doth sleep.

5 comments:

Michelle Blair said...

OH how fun! I knew you would do something. I need to be more clever.

Sheryl Mosher said...

HOLY SMOKES! I want to come to your house next St. Patty's day. I am a terrible mother. Yes, the children dressed in green. Yes, we talked about St. Patrick's Day and yes, we made the dog wear a stupid hat. However, you are the goddess of all things creative and wonderful and your girls are SUPER lucky to have a mom who cares as much as you about making life fun and interesting and creative. Like Michelle says, I need to be more clever. However, you've raised the bar so high that anything I do will be lame by comparison. You rock it, sister. Erin go bragh! :)

~yoga~ said...

I was so proud of myself for making green frosted cupcakes and green basil pasta...maybe I am not as cool as I thought I was...LOL

Kathy Busby said...

Was it St. Patrick's Day? Did we have Christmas already?? Where does the time go?

You are a fun mom!!! Keep the good times rollin!

Jennifer said...

I agree with Sheryl--you are the goddess of fun moms! This is the first year we ever did much for St. Patrick's day, and it was so fun, I'm gonna start some traditions. I love low-key holidays that you can just have fun with, not stress out over. And your girls ARE so, so lucky to come home to such a fun house--I'll bet their friends are jealous!