Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Love Language Clues


I recently taught a review of The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. It was the second time teaching it, and I have found many a light bulb moment in my audience members when we've covered Dr. Chapman's suggestion to listen to your child's requests to find out what his or her love language is. One woman came up to me after the last class and told me that her 16-year-old son always asks her to come in to his room and listen to what his stereo can do. She usually puts him off because she already knows what his stereo can do (along with many of the neighbors), but she realized after hearing the material in the lesson that he was asking for quality time. She determined that night that she was going to pay attention next time he asks.

It's funny how things stick out when you have an awareness. Since learning about and reading this book, I am constantly aware of the requests of my children and what they may need. One such piece of evidence is in the photo above. Last night, I made a list on our mini white board of the next day's after school events and included the dinner menu and showers. If you look at the bottom, my nine-year-old added to the list. I didn't see her do it, but when I read it, I realized that she was asking for my time. She is a Quality Time kid, and she's been feeling low the last few days. They do ask. We just have to listen and act.

If you haven't read this book or the one for children, it's a must read. He has many versions now including one for singles. The love languages are the same in each book, but the examples differ based on the demographic. I figure since our relationships are the only thing we're taking with us when we leave this life we better keep working on them, right?

2 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

Thanks for this. I had a lightbulb go off just reading about your class. I'd love to come if you teach it again!

Sheryl Mosher said...

I love that she included something on the list. Good for her that she can make her wants and needs known -- something that will serve her well as she gets older. It truly is about being aware and then being willing to do something about it. I sympathize with the woman and how her son wants her to listen to the stereo. I feel that way about video games and what the kids want to show me. I could care less about the games, but it isn't about the the game itself -- its' about them wanting me to be a part of something they value and think is important. sigh. This was an excellent reminder.