Friday, March 25, 2011

Meeting Brandon Mull


Brandon Mull, author of the Fablehaven series, The Candy Shop War and a picture book titled, Pingo, came to our Huntington Beach Barnes and Nobel to promote his new series, The Beyonders. Heather and I have both read Fablehaven and The Candy Shop War (we were actually the only two in the crowd who had read The Candy Shop War), and this was our first time attending an author signing together. We are both very excited to read this new series!

Brandon is very down-to-earth and spoke about each of his books, how he likes to reward his readers for paying attention to details, how his stories usually crescendo toward the end (the new series starts at the level of intensity where Fablehaven was in book 5), his writing history and writing habits. Heather was hooked right away when he spoke about his school years. Two things he said that were endearing to her were:

• My Middle School years were not my best years. If you're in Middle School, just wait. It gets better.

• I always had ideas and stories running through my brain. I'd be in school and the teacher would be talking and I'd be like "squirrel!" and be off on some thought.

Heather turned to me and said, "Mom! He's just like me!" During the questions we were able to ask if he had any ideas back in school that he saved and used when he was an adult writer (Yes! The Candy Shop War town, gang of kids who explored the neighborhood together, and and old fashioned candy shop in his town), and also what kind of student he was (not so great in elementary, shy and quiet in middle school and better/more focused in high school). This was wonderful for Heather to hear not only because of their similar experiences, but because she is so interested in writing a book. She's been working on her story since 5th grade, and continues to tell me how the plot unfolds in the future. I thought she'd tire of the idea, but she hasn't. I can totally see her finishing this story or re-writing it when she's older.

We were able to take a picture while he signed all our books. Since I didn't have books 1 or 2 of Fablehaven in hard cover, he signed two book plates for me to paste in them when I was able to find them. He was interested in people's individual comments about the books and after I told him that Heather and I both read them, Heather shared that she was writing a story. He asked her questions about it, and one of the B&N associates followed us away from the table with a web address for a young writer's contest. Heather was feeling pretty great.



Sheryl and Grace Mosher joined us, and we had the girls take a picture together - Friends going to author signings together just like their mommas.


After getting our books signed and some shopping, we stopped at Islands for dinner. It was so fun to see Heather with a big smile on her face all night, especially since she's been so sick all week.

4 comments:

Michelle Blair said...

That sounds like you had fun. I have to tell Gavin about this. Glad you have friends to go with.

Michelle Blair said...

ps Heather looks so grown up. :)

Jenny said...

What a fun night!

Sheryl Mosher said...

This was such a fun night! I'm so glad the girls got to get a picture taken together with him. When they are rich and famous, we can take out this picture and say, "See, it started right here!"