Monday, March 7, 2011

Essentials


I am a list maker, but often keep the list in my head. The past year has taught me that trying to keep a list in my head is going to result in many important things being forgotten. As I've really examined what's not working lately, it was very clear to me that I have some how got to remember the essentials. I love the definition of this word as well as those in the thesaurus:

es•sen•tial
adjective
absolutely necessary; extremely important. See notes at, INHERENT and NECESSARY.

essential
crucial, necessary, key, vital, indispensable, important, all-important, of the essence, critical imperative, mandatory, compulsory, obligatory; urgent pressing, paramount, preeminent, high-priority, nonnegotiable; basic, inherent, fundamental, quintessential, intrinsic, underlying, innate, primary, elemental; central, pivotal, vital.
_______________________________________________

In order to ground my swirling thoughts and fix myself firmly to some kind of anchor, I have made a list of some essential things that I am not concentrating on and making time for. If all I accomplished during a day could be checked on on this list (see picture above), then the day would be deemed successful. I have further set the goal to be finished with this list by 9:00 a.m. with the exception of water as it will take the day to finish.

If everyone I know made a list, it would be different. These are the items I can't live with out, and those that are essential to my spiritual and physical well-being. I'm a dork, but the word and it's definition inspire me to embrace the meaning. How often are we reminded of the "essentials", and how often do we nod our heads and walk off forgetting. I've heard many of these words from the thesaurus countless times in the scriptures, in lessons and from church leaders. I am, apparently, slow on getting my act together.


2 comments:

Casey Lee said...

You know, I think I would benefit from making a list!

Jenny said...

That's a good list and a good goal too. I think I should also do that.