Sunday, February 15, 2009

Savor It Sunday

We had Stake Conference in our stake today.  Kelly and I attending the adult session last night, and this morning I sang in our stake choir.  Both meetings were uplifting and a good part of that was that we were blessed to hear from President Hinckley's oldest son, Richard Hinckley.  He looks so much like his dad and has the same wit.  He made us laugh several times.  He says he doesn't speak about his dad much, but he felt impressed to share some things with us.  I think we all just hung on every word, especially when he opened one of his dad's journals and read a few different things from it.  To hear what a prophet of the Lord wrote in his journal, especially a prophet that I have known and loved, was a stellar experience.  I have given much thought to the messages that were shared by Elder Hinckley this weekend and have some more improving to do in my life.  I was very grateful to have been a part of those meetings.

Kelly had a bad headache today, and Jenna is still down with some sinus issues.  It was a very slow day, but one that was spent resting and visiting with each other.  We had a nice dinner together and watched a movie.  I usually don't sit down to do that, so I'm glad that I did.  

I remember when my mom would do something with us.  It was so rare that we were just thrilled to have her attention, even if it was just to watch a t.v. program together.  I realized today that if I'm not careful, those are the kinds of brief memories my girls are going to have about our time together.  I need to make more time to be with them and be in the moment, and have it happen regularly.  My time with them is so short.  I believe that I am reminded of things like this because Heavenly Father knows how much I desire to be in my children's lives. He's helping me not slip and get too caught up with the list of chores I sometimes focus on.  He knows me and cares enough about me to remind me to stay in the moment knowing that I will be so sad if I forget to do this.  I am truly grateful for the knowledge that my Father in Heaven loves and cares about me so much.

2 comments:

~yoga~ said...

Melissa...
How did you get so amazing???
Wish I were more like you.

Angie Haas said...

What a wonderful thing to reflect on Melissa. Thank you for sharing your thoughts... and actions!