Friday, February 19, 2010

Meeting Shannon Hale

I am still in shock. Shannon Hale came to Huntington Beach!!! My friend, Sheryl, found out about this author signing at our local Barnes and Nobel from our very own elementary school librarian to whom she had gifted a copy of The Goose Girl for Christmas. Sheryl promptly let me know about it, and we stewed and squeeed for over a week until the event day arrived. After checking with the book store we found out that arriving early was fine, no wrist bands were needed, Shannon would sign any books we had, and we were allowed to take photos. Yay!

These were the Shannon Hale books already in my library. I had read Princess Academy for our book club a couple of years ago, and then picked up the others because I really like the story and main character in Princess Academy.

I have recommended Shannon to all my friends, and she has even become a favorite author on TwilightMoms. Here are Sheryl and I at the event. We were the very first ones to arrive. Talk about giddy fan girls. We skipped dinner and parked ourselves in the very first row. I don't think B&N knew what to do with us.

Shannon arrived with her husband, Dean. They were here to promote their latest graphic novel, Calamity Jack. They co-wrote their first graphic novel, Rapunzle's Revenge, and wrote Calamity Jack as the sequel. They were both so funny and down-to-earth. You can tell they get along well and really respect each other.


There were just about two dozen fans at the signing which is probably quite a small crowd. Shannon said she didn't expect too many on a Friday night, and they were both really appreciative of those who turned out. We weren't complaining! We got extra chat time with the authors, every book personalized and a great photo too!

I came away with a copy of each of the graphic novels as well as a copy of Austenland. I can't believe I told Shannon that I was a little bugged about the married women who were repeat customers in the story. Did that little negative just slip out of my mouth??? Yes it did! What a goof! She personalized my copy of Austenland with, "To Melissa who has standards." She has a good sense of humor. All of my personalized copies are so awesome. And I did remember to tell her why I LOVE her stories. Hopefully she'll remember that part and not the other. *blush*

2 comments:

Katie said...

I am so excited and so jealous :) that you got to meet Shannon! I feel in love with her books before SM's books. I adore her writing. What an exciting experience. I hope you guys are all feeling better today!!

Kathy Habel said...

I love her books! How fun to have got to meet her.