Sunday, January 17, 2010

Almondo Cupcakes

Today's cupcake was called the Almondo Cupcake. Another almond delight, but this time with loads of brown sugar and almond extract. The recipe called for Amaretto, however, I didn't like that it was also included in the frosting and would not 'cook out' in the process. It was pretty funny when I asked the Albertson's guy where the Amaretto was kept.

Me: Do you have Amaretto?
Clerk: Isn't it with the liquor?
Me: Oh, I didn't check there.
Clerk: It's next to the Triple Sec.
Me: ???
*Mormon girl is introduced to isle 9. The liquor isle.*
Clerk: Here it is.
Me: Doesn't it come in a smaller size like for baking?
Clerk: No. Anything small like that would be easy to slip in a pocket.
Me: Thanks.

I did learn that a very large and pretty bottle of Amaretto is the same price as a teeny weeny bottle of Almond Extract. But there was a conversion table on the side of the extract, so I put the Amaretto back.

Okay, on to the baking...

My happy helpers...The joy this week was that Heather could scoop and level off the flour without being told how. It's only her third week of training. Laaaaaah!


This batter was much more cupcake like than our first Applesauce Cupcake recipe.

The cupcakes didn't rise.

Some even sunk.

But boy were they delicious! The icing was powdered sugar, whipping cream, more almond extract and butter. I inhaled two right away. Although these look less pretty, they are the favorites so far. The girls want me to leave out the slivered almonds next time. I think I will. They don't really add much except crunch.
Bon Appetite!

3 comments:

Michelle Blair said...

That is so cute! I love the conversation at the store. I need to do something like that with Gavin. He would love it.

Angie Haas said...

Hilarious! My favorite part was the dialogue between you and the man who works at the grocery store. (Mormon girl introduced to the liquor isle!) You making these cupcakes is the one and only reason why I am glad I do not live down the street from you... I would be on your doorstep wanting cupcakes every Sunday. When you make Red Velvet cupcakes... beware!!!!

Jennifer B. said...

Funny story! I'm sooo lucky to be able to say that these taste heavenly. I'm an almond lover and these were delicious!