Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Tornado? Seriously?

So yesterday it was raining. I thought, "I'll take a couple of pictures so that Kelly can see what it looked like while he was at work (about 45 miles away). I couldn't quite get a good shot of the rain, but you can see in the first picture the water pouring from the rain gutter.


Then I went to the front door to check out the front. I took this shot, but then decided my telephoto lens would capture more of the actual driving rain. So I went to the other room to get my lens...


and came back to this...


Hurricane? Tornado? I didn't know, but it was definitely NOT normal. I decided to shut the front door, and when I turned around, the warning was going across the television from the emergency broadcast system (the ones that never apply to my area), "Tornado warning issued for the following counties...Orange." Eeek! That was us. A tornado warning? Really?

Within about 15 minutes, the rain stopped. This was my back patio...


Fortunately, no major damage was done. I knew my fifth-grader would be at school freaking out, but what was to be done? By the time I picked up the kids, the sun was shining. We had lots of fun things to talk about (lighting, thunder, wind, the puddle in the bottom of Heather's rolling backpack), and there was still anxiety at bed time. But the good thing is that these events are rare. The water spouts that hit land, get renamed Tornados, and blow through once-in-a-while do not do the damage like they do in the mid-west. I think that comforted my kids knowing that kids along "tornado alley" live with this kind of thing all the time.

More rain forecast for today. Let's hope the water spouts stay over the water.