Sunday, June 27, 2010

Grandpa Goes Home

Since my Dad's release from the hospital on 6/12, he's been relaxing at my house. I think he used a cane for balance on the first and second day, but after that, he began "business as usual". This meant some trips outside to sit, some computer work, a little tinkering with his things and a few naps now and then. Probably more naps than normal, but he was recovering from surgery. He began to drive just a few days after arriving at my house. The first trip was a run to the doctor to check his chest tube sites. I was going to drive him, but he went without me (I was on a field trip). After that, some short driving trips became more common.

A couple of days ago he announced the desire to return home. I'm sure he's been pretty bored around here. When you're active, it's hard to be down. Today was the first chance we had to make the drive to his house in Idyllwild. It's about 2.5 hours from here, the last stretch being pretty curvy. He didn't want to drive that yet as he isn't supposed to be driving for another three weeks or so. Michelle drove his car, and I drove Michelle's (with the DVD player). We made pretty good time.

The trees next to Dad's place

Bow making with found sticks and Grandpa's string

Grandpa watching a relaxing in the sun

Late lunch at an outdoor Mexican restaurant. Yummy!

Lots of photos as we said good-bye. Dad has promised to take care of himself and keep in touch each day. He was happy to be home.

2 comments:

Hillary said...

I'm glad he's doing so well! That's great.

Michelle Blair said...

That was fun to visit dad's place. Did you have to put me in the pics?