Friday, July 17, 2009

The Prehistoric Pets...ZOO

There is a little store in Fountain Valley called "Prehistoric Pets".  You can find all manner of reptile there for viewing and/or purchase.  The pond in the front of the store has fish and turtles that the kids can feed, and this has been a favorite spot to frequent off and on since the girls were toddlers.  I have learned to put on a brave face for the sake of the kids, and as some of you remember, I even had a tarantula placed on my head once during a birthday party at this place all in the name of "moms show kids how not-a-big-deal this is".  Anyhoo, Heather has been dying to visit the store for a couple of weeks.  I had to put her off because of our show, and I finally told her we'd go after our camping trip when our cousin was here.  

On Monday morning we headed over to the store and got quite the shocker of news.  Prehistoric Pets is now Prehistoric Pets Zoo, and they charge admission!  No more browsing through the rows of snakes and lizards.  Now you pay a fee to tour the store.  When did this happen?  Three days before our visit to the store.  Sheesh.  After recovering from the shock, we paid the admission ($8 for adults, $6 for kids).  We couldn't complain too much because they really tried to make our admission worth it.   The $45 we paid to get in was like a store credit. We were able to use the credit to purchase a picture with the python, purchase tubs of worms to feed the fish, and purchase toys for the kids.  They brought out the desert tortoise for the kids to see, and let us hold a few things (joy).  Here are some of the pics from our "zoo" trip.

Aunt Melissa and Gavin have a bonding moment with a King Scorpion.  This was the only thing I had to not look at while holding. *shudder*

The once-upon-a-time five-year-old who wanted a pet snake, lizard, turtle, etc. would have nothing to do with touching anything.  Period.  I did get her to sort of hold the little Bearded Dragon.

No problemo for Miss Brave.  Go Jen!

Jenna and mom hold the Ball Python.  I held it on my own and was asking the sales girl about the zoo.  I had to stop her because I realized I couldn't concentrate on anything she was saying.  There was a snake slithering around in my hands and my brain was completely occupied with blocking out any freakout that might have occurred if I let down the "non-freakout" barrier.

Grandpa and girls sit for a Python Photo.  Grandpa was cool with holding the head, and Jenna took the end.  I made Heather get in the shot all in the name of scrapbooking, and then I chanted, "it's just a scarf, it's just a scarf" to make myself feel better.  I can kinda still feel the cold heavy feeling on the back of my neck.

5 comments:

shari berry bo-berry said...

WOW. I guess we won't be going there any time soon! That use to be my "go-to" place for my boys...but I can't afford that! Bummer.

I am glad you guys had fun though...and I can't believe you held a scorpion!!!!!!!!! You are brave! I can handle lizards and snakes, but scorpions??? no way. and I DEFINITELY would NEVER let anyone put a tarantula on my head! I would have nightmares for the rest of my life.

You have some serious self control! I would be freaking out so bad!!

Michelle Blair said...

Good job, brave Aunt Melissa. Sorry I CANNOT do that without having a heart attack.

~yoga~ said...

Holy brave woman you are!!! No way in heck would I touch any of that stuff!!! What a fun day for you and the girls. Hope you are having a great summer. Love ya!!!

Kathy Habel said...

Looks like you are having fun. I so need to take our kids camping soon.

Kristie K. said...

Ahhhh! you are so brave.

seriously i can only handle like maybe 15 min. in there. What an awesome mom you are. great pictures.