Sunday, January 4, 2009

Savor it Sunday

Can I just say that 1:00 p.m. is an interesting time to start church?  It can be misleading to have so much time in the morning, but fortunately, I thought about this last week when we were a few minutes late to 11:00 a.m. church, and I prepared today.  I set a goal to have us ready an hour before church, and it helped.  We were able to go at a leisurely pace which always promotes a peaceful morning.  It was also Fast Sunday which is never good for me unless I am prepared mentally.  I have to be peaceful within if I'm going to make it over 16 hours without food.  When the headache came on today, I was at peace, and that helped it from getting out of control.

So what am I saying?  Savor it Sunday has to do with gaining strength from the peace that comes from focusing on the Spirit, and on the things that are important.  I didn't do anything spectacular today with my family, and I don't have anything outstanding to report, but because I was tuned in to my goal of fasting and inner peace today, my interactions with my family were sweeter and my soul found rest.   Let's face it, we need that kind of mental and spiritual R and R each week.  I'm feeling ready for tomorrow.

One thing I gleaned from our Testimony meeting today was the retelling of an account with Elder Holland.  A bishop in the Manhattan area was asking Elder Holland how they could best meet all the challenges that bishops face in a busy, bustling area--work, family, church and all that was asked of them.  Elder Holland replied, "If you aren't sealed to it, it can probably wait until tomorrow."  I loved that!  Being "sealed to it" in our church is speaking about our families.  We are sealed to our spouse and our children.  That was an awesome way to think about it--our spouse and our children come first.  I'm putting that one in my "how-to" book.

Have a great week!   The Peterson household turns "healthy living" tomorrow!

3 comments:

Britten said...

I had a pretty peaceful Sunday too. I'm glad you found peace.


That sunset pic is gorgeous!

~yoga~ said...

Peaceful Sunday's are the best!!!

So, here we go.
Healthy Challenge, Bring it.

Kathy Habel said...

Yeah for a peaceful day! Glad you survived your headache. And good luck being healthy this week!